Saturday 4 August 2007

Long time no see

Its been a little while since I was on here to make an entry.  Things have calmed down on the dog front and both Paul and Billy have recovered from all the trauma but we have had a lot going on and that is why I have not been on a lot and so very behind in commenting in your journals.

Its been really sad but Spotty our cat is not with us any more.  He was 16 years old and in the last week or so became very thin.  Paul took him to the vet last week expecting to have to put him to sleep but they said they thought the problem may have been one of his teeth, so we decided to go with that and have it taken out.  They kept him in the vets for 3 days and when he came home he was still poorly.  We made the decision on Thursday that he could no go on especially as since he had been home he had hardly eaten or drunk anything and spent most of the time behind a chair in the living room.  So the end of an era and very sad.  Paul is broken hearted but we both know we could not let it go on.

But we have got cheerful things coming up.  Paul's birthday is on Monday and I have resisted telling him about his surprise helicopter lesson.  Yesterday evening the children and I went to Tescos and bought him a toy helicopter which makes a lot of different noises.  He is going to be a bit shocked to get that wrapped up!  Then we will hand him the voucher for his lesson .... so I can't wait for that.  He has the lesson on Thursday and after that whilst we have lunch I will tell the children that we are going on holiday the next day!!  I was looking at the brochure this morning and I hope the weather keeps fine for it all.

Matthew has just come back from Scout camp and has had a wonderful time.  I am now washing all the smelly clothes.  They went to the world jamboree get together at Chelmsford to celebrate the 100 year centenary on Monday and on Tuesday they took them to Alton Towers. 

Rosie and I went to Thorpe Park, another theme park, on Monday with my friend and her young son.  We had a wonderful time and I even rode the log flume .... it was so funny because my friend's little boy had an ear infection, so she insisted he wore a plastic cape.  As we came down for the photo the plastic cape flew over his head, mine and Rosie's heads too.  The photo was great.  The chap at the front of the ride was all smiles and behind him and blue flash of plastic!  We did giggle when we saw the photo when we came off.  Remind me not to do anymore fairground or theme park rides, I must have been so tense that I hurt my leg and limped for 2 days afterwards.

I am enjoying all this part time working apart from having to try to keep up with all the filing at work, which is manic at the best of times.   I have gone into work the last 2 Sundays but have now found a way that I can manage my work emails from home, so that should make it a bit easier.

Something awful too has happened at work.  They are making my sister's department redundant.  In one way though it is good that it has happened now because she will be 64 in December and that is when no redundancy package is available, apparently you get nothing then.  She will be leaving on the 24th August just a couple of days before we go away together to Hemsby.  Aw, I am going to miss seeing her every day.

By the way, I was at my firm 30 years last week.  Hmmm, I did get a bonus in my pay packet but no note from the Managing Partner to say thank you, kiss my ass or nothing.  I could understand it more if I wasn't a good worker or reliable but I am and have been!  I felt very disappointed that there was no official acknowledgment, all day I was waiting for it or my flowers to arrive at my desk.  I went to lunch with my friends and took cakes in, I thought of it as a milestone even if my company didn't.  My department though are celebrating it and they are arranging a lunch for me when one of our chaps gets back from being away on sabattical as he wants to be there too.  We are doing it in September.

I am determined to take the children to see Harry Potter this weekend - tomorrow is the plan.  I can't believe we haven't got there yet but with working some weekends I have not had the time.

I wish you all a wonderful weekend.

Hugs, Terry x

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Typical workplace! Hope harry potter is enjoyable and im so sorry you lost your cat.Glad the dog thing is sorted.My sisters cat attacked me last week, i think its because of the new baby shes not getting tattention.Animals have off days!Beckie x

Anonymous said...

Sorry to thear about your cat...glad that Billy hasn't had any more "moments"...congrats on 30 years..that really is an accomplishment...I can't wait to hear how Paul reacts to his helo surprise!!
Have a great weekend!
Lyn

Anonymous said...

You have been busy!  Sad that you got no recognition for the 30 years, people are too busy it seems for special things like that anymore.  Glad your sister will get a little recompense...just in the nick of time for sure.  Lots of fun days ahead for you and your family.  I'll be looking forward to hearing how your hubby enjoys his birthday surprise.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry to hear about your sweet cat....so so sorry. I am also miffed at your boss for not saying congrats to you and thanks for how hard you work....UGH, that makes me mad. If i had been there i would have shouted it from the roof tops. I hope Paul has a great bday..take lots of pics!
Love you,lj

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOu))))))))))))))I am so sorry to hear abour your cat.I know its hard to loose a beloved pet.I hope you have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!  30 years!!! That amazing! I have been at my work for 5 years and thats about the longest I have ever been at one single place!!  But I understand your disappointment with not acknowleding your accomplishment, that is just rude! After 30 years you deserve it!

Sorry to hear about your old cat.  We do become so used to them being around the place don't we.  It really is like losing a part of the family.

Can't wait to hear how Paul reacts to his gift!  You gotta take photos of that one!  Counting sleeps til your holidays??? Oh, and you gotta be mad to go on those theme park rides!  I went on one last year with Hannah and thought I was going to have a heart attack!!  How we used to ride them when we were younger I will never know...lol...

Hugs

Wendy in Oz

ps: can you drop me an email with your postal address.  I am updating my Christmas card list - I know its early but if I don't do it now, it won't get done!!!
send it to    -    webberwj@bigpond.net.au

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the cat... been there... it's not fun... 30 years.. WOW your company should have said something or done something. My hubby was at his job for 20 years and they laid him off.... so much for loyalty... but.. I understand... no work, no jobs.. I think it's cool about the helicopter lessons!!!! lisa

http://journals.aol.com/lisita15/lisita15/

Anonymous said...

Sorry to here about Puss! I can't believe you were at your firm 30 Years and they did F all for you?
Typical.............. Enjoy your holidays.
Gaz xx

Anonymous said...

Terry sorry to hear about Spotty your cat ~ our pets are part of the family and it is hard to part with them ~ but you did the kindest thing ~Felt really sad that your firm did not acknowledge your 30 years with them ~ but happy your colleagues are doing something later ~ Paul is going to be pleased with his birthday present ~ hope he has a happy day ~ Ally x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/ally123130585918/Lifewithally

Anonymous said...

Phew!! Busy Busy!! Can`t believ you have kept the holiday a secret for so long! You are good I hope the surprise to them will be worth the wait. Sorry to hear about the cat not good news. have a good Sunday. Happy Birthday to Paul on Monday
luv bella x

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your cat that is awful like loosing family. Sorry your sister is getting let go. and seems like companies dont appreciate good workers now days. I sure hope you have a great time away and happy b day to paul

Anonymous said...

So very sorry to hear about your cat ,so does that mean your sister will get some redunancy if she leaves in August ,I have see a lot of TV  coverage about the scouts hundred years celebrations ,bet Matthew had a whale of a time ,dying to know how the helicopter gift is received ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I am glad when you post and give us lots of information about what is going on.  I am sorry your sister's department is getting phased out but thank god she is old enough for retirement.  Is that what she will be doing?  You always seem to have fun and enjoy life, balancing well between work and family activiities  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Sad news about your sister and your cat.

The surprise for your family will be good, hope you have a lovely holiday.

Linda x.