Saturday 16 September 2006

Weekend/Good book

Oh well another Saturday is here.  I am faced with a mountain of washing and ironing again, ho hum! 

Kids are all asleep.  They are worn out after a week at school, bless them!  I changed my working hours this week which is great at the start of the day as I have more time but am getting home half an hour later which made it manic last night trying to get everyone fed and Matthew up to Scouts for 7.25 ... yes, he ended up being a little late.  Then a quick dash to the library before it shut at 8pm to pic up a book, Step by Wicked Step, for Rosie that she ordered as they are doing something about it at school.  She is a great reader too and also an avid TV fan - hmmm.  Matthew has now started reading a lot more and is enjoying the Horrid Henry books, which surprisingly keeps him occupied for an hour at a time.  As you know, Matthew goes to a special needs school and things are a bit more difficult for him and the fact that he has started to do this is really amazing.  Normally, he loves to play on his Nintendo DS or Playstation or kicking a ball into either my fence or the goal in the garden.  I think his teachers at school wil be amazed that he is now doing this of his own free will.

Matthew really enjoys going to Scouts.  He has been a member now for almost 3 years and I must say that they are wonderful with him and very patient.  He really liked one of the chaps who was running the troop and I was a bit worried when we found out he was leaving at the end of this summer but Matthew still is ok about going and enthusiastic about all the events coming up.  They certainly keep busy, this summer they took the troop off to Barra!  Barra is blimming miles away from Hertfordshire and is in the Hebrides.  They had a wonderful time, all coming home adorned in ticks!  I was a bit worried but the leaders take everything in their stride and they all had a wonderful time.  They sent home a disc last week and it looked like a lovely place where you can really get away from everything.  Although its a small island it has its own hospital and shops where you can get everything.  Coming up soon for Matthew are a few night hikes and weekend camps.  I think the people who work in the Scouting movement are wonderful, they give up so much personal time so that kids can have a lot of fun and also give them values and teach them about comradeship and self-sufficiency and all children are welcome whatever their ability.

Rosie is still settling into secondary school.  It seems that some of the older girls are real cows, picking on the younger ones, swearing etc.  I have told Rosie not to react and then they will get fed up doing it near her.  I would like her to learn new vocabulary but when she repeated what had been said to her yesterday it made me wince!  She is pretty fiesty and I know its hard for her not to react but we'll see what the coming weeks bring.  I certainly intend to mention it when I meet the teacher, I actually think the older girls are bullying by doing it.  Rosie seems to enjoy the sparring but its not really on.  There was me thinking all the older girls would be welcoming .... last week Rosie was the girl with the bum bag and freakishly long skirt ... wonder what next week will bring!

Martin, my older nephew aged 28, is still living with us.  He has an on/off relationship with Julia who lives in Staffordshire.  Well, last night I dropped him at the station as he was going up to Shoreditch, London, to a nightclub to meet up with his work friends for a do.  Got up this morning and noticed a gold coloured flip flop  .... then found a note to say that Julia was staying ... now I wonder where they found each other, was she just passing by or did she bump into him up there, all very strange!  She is a lovely girl though and if my luck is in I might be able to play on her good nature and get her to help with some ironing and things, keep your fingers crossed.

Next week we are off to a wedding.  It's my husband, Paul's, best friend's daughter, Roseanne, getting married.  She has been with her boyfriend for a few years now and they have a lovely little girl aged 2 called Ella.  They are a lovely couple and she is also my goddaughter.  She has asked Rosie to do a reading of a poem at the service.  Rosie can't wait as she loves to do things like that.  The kids are really excited as they haven't been to a "proper" all day wedding before and I must go out later this afternoon and get Rosie some shoes and Matthew a new shirt to wear. 

We're all looking forward to the final of "Maria" tonight.  The kids and I love all these programmes and can't wait for X factor to start properly.

I have started to be brave and to post my comments on other people's blogs.  I am really enjoying this! 

By the way, I have read a good book this week written by Ruth Ellis' sister.  Do you know that Ruth Ellis' trial only lasted a day and a half before they found her guilty?  I can't believe it.  Anyway, this book is really interesting and her sister brings up a lot of anomalies, implying that it was all a set up with spy stuff etc. involved.  The book is called Ruth Ellis, My sister's secret life by Muriel Jakubait, if anyone wants to get it from the library.  I manage to do quite a bit of reading on the train to and from work as the journey is about 50 mins. 

Anyway, over and out for now.

Have a great weekend.

Terry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi hun I finally got here,sorry for the delay,busy busy I am at the mo anyway ill add you to my favourites and so alot of my bloggers will get here speak soon zoe xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear what your daily routine is in England.  I have an uncle who is younger than I am.  He was my grandmother's menopausal baby, born premature, and he had learning disabilities.  I used to worry about what was going to happen to him.  A wonderful girl found him who is very smart, teaches piano, and she loves my little Uncle Bill's sweet nature.  I wouldn't have believed life would turn out so well for him. They sing together in the church choir and go to visit all their musical grandchildren all the time!  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry - X Factor has started (Mum and i loved 'Maria too!) we are also fans of 'strictly come dancing'........ i think that ....oh whats her name ? the young girl in Simon's group..... damn can't remember her name..... anyway, i think she could win !!!!
Jayne :o)