Thursday 28 December 2006

end of the year

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas.  To me its all about the children enjoying themselves.  I don't think they believe in Santa any more but they humour me along about the Christmas stockings, mince pie and sherry etc.

My sister, Chris, bought me some lovely pjs and matching slippers.  I look the biz now with all my finery going to bed instead of some old jogging bottoms and a tshirt.  Mmm, I think she hasn't admired my bedwear when we have been away together.  She also got me some lovely leather gloves, which I have promised I'll try not to lose this time but I won't be wearing them to bed!

I feel pretty relaxed now, having had a few days off work and I am lucky enough not to be back until next Tuesday, eeeek that is creeping up a bit quickly for my liking.  I am so relaxed I am almost horizontal, so must try to get back into my normal mode soon, e.g. waking up at a reasonable time and maybe getting dressed.

Today was a momentous day!  We finally paid our mortgage off.  Like many others, we were hit by endowment shortfall and had no-one to make a claim to because we bought through an independent adviser.  My sister was lucky as she bought direct from her building society and so got lots back.  Anyway, we were quite a bit short but the deed is done and it is a bit like Christmas, a bit of an anti-climax.  I remember the excitement the day we bought the house and it doesn't seem 20 years ago, the pay off date seemed so far away.  Beans on toast now for us for a few months.

We then went to my niece's place in Letchworth to give them their Christmas presents.  Her baby is 18 months old and very cute.  Matthew and Rosie are a very proud aunt and uncle.  It was a pleasant afternoon, she had made us a little party and her boyfriend had made his own homemade pickled onions which nearly blew my head off!

My nephew, Martin, has accepted a new job in Leeds, he will be going in a week or so.  We'll all miss him and I know its going to be a sad day for us all when he goes.  After my sister died he went travelling and I felt that I was bereaved again.  I hope I will be braver this time.  At least we'll have a bit more room in the cottage ... I wonder if he'll take all his stuff?

He will be back with his girlfriend, Julia, any time now this evening.  She is coming up for the next few days.  He drove up to Stafford yesterday to spend a day with her and drive back here together but I think he has to go to work tomorrow. Its a blimming long drive, too far for me, I just couldn't stand all that motorway. 

I hope that everyone had a good Christmas.  I know that some other journallers have lost family members or have some that are very sick and my heart goes out to them. 

Mum's memoirs will be posted on here ... I can't be bothered to have two journals on the go!

Hugs.

Terry

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I always think that Christmas is for the Children too.  Of course my children are now adults, but I do have the grand'babes'.  As long as the Christmas spirit is in the heart Santa will stay alive...I still believe.  It sounds like you had a beautiful Christmas!  Enjoy that time off it goes by way too quickly.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))))Glad you had a ncie Christmsa and you got some pjs,I did to,from my co worker.lol.my Mom was like,you can by just pjs and no shirt?I said yup.lol.I have a fave pair of warm scocks that I always wear.They are getting kinda old.lol.But not worn out yet.ol.They are barbie scoks.Which i really dont like Barbie,but I like Barbie better than the Bratz dolls.lol.Have a ncie day and a great weekend ahead.Happy New YEars.

Anonymous said...

congratulations on paying off your Motgage.. hardly anyone does that anymore you know.. I can remember when my mum and Dad paid theirs off....
Have a good few days off...
lyn

Anonymous said...

Your presents from your sister sounded nice ,sisters know what we really need dont they ?I lose gloves because I take them of in the car and keep them in my lap .then step out of the car later and drop them ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Glad to read you are back with Mom's memoirs, too.  I am working my way up instead of down.    Sounds like you had a nice Christmas.   Gerry  

Anonymous said...

Just trying to catch up with everyone's Journals, I had 100 Alerts!

Glad to hear you had a good Christmas. If Martin is anything like my son it will be ages before he takes all his stuff, he liked have a room here he could still call his own.

Happy New Year.

Linda x.