Saturday 14 July 2007

flying high

 

The photo above is sad really.  It was taken at the Natural History Museum last year on a day out in London. Its Rosie with my old friend Chi Chi from London Zoo.  I remember Chi Chi so well from my childhood.  Chi Chi also seemed enormous and there she is all tiny and little stuck in a corner where the restaurant is.  I also was very fond of Guy the Gorilla.  He used to live in a big Victorian style cage.  Everyone would gather round and then he would throw his pooh at them.  When I asked where he was now, they said in storage somewhere.  What a shame.  Poor old boy should be laid to rest.  Looking back now, it must have driven him crazy being stuck in his cage.

Well here I am on a Saturday night, all bathed and in my jammies at 10 o'clock.  Hmmm, I must be getting old, eh? 

Its not been too bad a week for me.  My "friend" I told you about last time, who I was dreading seeing again on Wednesday for lunch, blew me out with 25 minutes to go as she had had a better offer.  She sent me an e-mail saying that one of the girls she worked with had asked her to go to lunch, so I was dropped like a hot tater!  She even had the cheek to say she would meet up with me on either Thursday or Friday but I wrote back and told her I had other arrangements for those days.  I did actually ... nice lunch hours spent with happier people.  I have made up my mind to avoid her now like the plague.  Then .... I was walking to work on Friday and who did I spot just in front of me, walking towards me with a face of doom.  Hmm, I made a quick step to the right and walked very quickly and she didn't spot me, ooooh what a relief, eh? 

Yes, it was blimming Friday, 13th yesterday ... I had trouble from the start.  Firstly, I couldn't sleep the night before.  I fell asleep on the sofa on Thursday evening and woke at about 11ish.  Tried bed, no.  Came downstairs, lay on sofa again.  Did I sleep, no!  In the end I think I dropped off at about 4 a.m. and then woke up late at 7.20 a.m. when I should have been up at 6.30.  Crazy time then, getting everyone up, getting dog walked, getting showered and out of the house by 8.05 a.m.  Got to the station and my train was cancelled, so I hopped back in the car with Paul and attempted to catch a fast train I know goes from another station nearby which is on a different line.  Got stuck behind the barriers and missed that one! Left my phone at home on charge, so couldn't call anyone.  Then couldn't get out of work on time due to an urgent job and missed my train home. Oooh.  I think the only good thing about yesterday was kicking off my shoes and having a nice lie down on the sofa when I got home.

Martin went for an interview yesterday in Bond Street for a publicist.  He seemed to think the interview went well but he didn't seem keen on the job.  I think he'd be better of getting a job he can drive to from here because he is terrible at getting up in the mornings.

I was in Letchworth today meeting up with my sister's eldest girls, the twins.  We had a pleasant afternoon, mainly sitting at Costa coffee having lovely drinks and watching the world go by whilst we chatted and I caught up with them both.

Martin seems ok and he and Matthew are bonding and going out running a few miles around the fields every evening.  Rosie gets fed up because they won't take her but she can't keep up and its a nice boy thing to do together.  They haven't asked me to join them ... wonder why, ha ha.

Martin and Matthew have gone fishing overnight.  I was out shopping when they left to go and I came home with lots of goodies for them for tonight, oh well, they will have them tomorrow I'm sure.  I don't often get the chance to go to Morrisons and I spent far more in there than I should have.  I can't get another thing in the freezer and the fridge is packed quite tightly.  I noticed they had a little Polish section there which is nice because it was always difficult to get Polish goodies before.  I have found a nice little deli in Hoddesdon which has an enormous selection and is really quite reasonable.  Christmas will be good this year, especially when I make my bigus, with the abundance of Polish sausages I can now get to put in.

Before I went out I did a very naughty thing!  I have booked a helicopter lesson for Paul as a birthday surprise.  We hardly buy each other presents nowadays as really there is nothing either of us want but I know he will be thrilled with it.  At least I hope so!  Luckily the airfield is about a 20 minute drive from us and I now have a voucher, so need to arrange a date.  His birthday is on the 6th August and I don't intend to tell him until that day.  You know me and my surprises!  I am being really nice to him today as I even told him the boxing was on earlier. Ahhh.

I hope everyone is having a sunny weekend.  The weather today was great and I even enjoyed the drive from here to Letchworth.  Hope it doesn't rain tonight as I don't really want muddy clothes coming home from the river.

Not long now until I start my 4 day weeks whilst the children are off school.  They finish this coming Friday, yipee!  I also have a lot of time booked off in August, so I am winding down and getting ready for the summer.

I got Rosie Ann Frank's diary from the charity shop today.  Ann Frank was only 13 when she wrote it.  Rosie who is now 12 can't put it down ... I remember reading it at the same age as Rosie.  I'll let you know what she thinks.  I am reading another Linda La Plante book called The Red Dalia and thoroughly enjoying it.  Its a bit gruesome as its a murder mystery and I have to put it down at times but have to pick it up again.  Oooh, I do so love reading.

Anyway, off now ... have a lovely weekend everyone.

Hugs, Tells x

 

 

 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Linda La Plante too ,Iam enjoyng Val McDairmid at the moment ,also enjoying a new Author to me ,Sue Grafton,You have had a busy week ,and an unfortunate Friday 13th ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Hiya Tells, gosh, you made me feel quite giddy with all that dashing around the other morning...... i don't do mornings very well .... flexi hours would suit me down to the ground, but our boss says NO.   Enjoy your weekend too.
Luv Jaynee x

Anonymous said...

I know you are looking forward to having off in August and it's so nice you can work 4 days only right now.  We are having a sunny weekend, but we do need the rain.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

I remember Guy the Gorilla!!! I was a constant visiyor to the zoo (only lived 6 miles from it)......I remember the cramped conditions they originally had, especially the polars and the penguins, thank heavens people saw sense and gave them bigger spaces to live in!!! I just caught a glimpse of Chi Chi as the day we went to see this lovely creature the world and his wife (and the kids!!!) were visiting as well!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Man, I remember Chi Chi too, that was so sad wasn't it?
Gaz xx

Anonymous said...

And I thought I led a hectic life!
Andy
http://journals.aol.co.uk/andrewfrnd/life

Anonymous said...

I saw Guy the gorilla twice he always looked so miserable, i've been off work so no train diasters for me lol. Hope next week is not so hetic!!!

love
yasmin

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))You dont look sad in the pic,its a nice pic,you look like my neice when Emily.Sorry you had a bad week,I had a bad nght at work tonight.Hope you have a beter week ahead.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a really nice day!  (unfortuntaely I am unable to see the photo.  There is only a red x showing up for me, so now am wondering what I am missing!)  I don't think you're sad at all.  I'm normally in bed by 9 or 9:30!  I wish I could stay awake to stay up longer!  Mind you, I am up at 5 or %:30 every morning so I guess it's all relevant!  I have heard that flying in a helicopter can make one quite ill so Paul better pack some sick bags, but what a thoughtful and wonderful gift!  Happy Sunday!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I finish school for 6 weeks on Friday, so we will both be having a relaxing time, lets hope the weather improves.

If you want Polish you should come to Worcester, I suppose its because of all the migrant agricultural workers but we have Polish shops now.

I remember seeing Guy the Gorilla smoking a cigarette. My sister, who was only four said something very embarassing about how he looked. Mum curled up and died!!!

Linda.

Anonymous said...

I love reading too... i love that your treat your family..it's lovely..
Lyn

Anonymous said...

What is Bigus??You sem to have had a busy week and a bad friday 13th!!
luv bella xx

Anonymous said...

Lucky Friday the 13th doesn't come around too often, huh??? Never mind, its over now.  Glad Martin and Matthew are spending some time together.  It will be good for them both.  Hannah read the Diary of Ann Frank last year when she was 12 and she was the same as Rosie and couldn't put it down.  Funny eh?  Must just be the right age to read it.
I am so jealous of your warm weather - I wish it was like that here :(

Enjoy your 4 day weeks - that extra day is such a bonus isn't it!

Hugs

Wendy in Oz

Anonymous said...

i want to come and eat your Christmas goodies!! I bet that helicopter ride will be a memory to last forever also....wow, you had a bad 13th huh? One thing after another!
love,lisa
PS- i hate nasty people who claim to be friends. Glad you got rid of her.

Anonymous said...

wow i loved learning about Anne Frank, there was an exibition in Southampton about her life and I forgot to go, bummer.Beckie x

Anonymous said...

Chi Chi and Guy. Remember them well
Andy
http://journals.aol.co.uk/andrewfrnd/life

Anonymous said...

You did have the unluckiest Friday the 13th I have heard so far.  Unbelievable! But I am still trying to recover from reading in your first entry about how your dog attacked Paul. Is his bite healing.  What would make a dog go crazy like that I wonder.  Maybe he objected to Paul going to bed with you?  Gerry