Saturday 6 January 2007

Kitchens

Oh what a day it has been!  We have decided that we have to have a new kitchen.  Truth is, I decided - Paul is quite reluctant even though bits are falling off our kitchen and its a real dump!  Today I had made an appointment at MFI, so we could get a plan and see exactly what is involved.  Mr Reluctant left it right until the last minute to measure up and we left home in the nick of time for our 1pm appointment.  Our kitchen is 10 x 12 and the ceilings are quite low because we live in a very old cottage.  Well, we have found all there are all new rules and regulations if you get your kitchen fitted professionally, even to the point that we have to do something about our electrics to conform.  Also it seems it will cost a small fortune just for about 12 units and worktop etc.  Eeeekkkk!

I have come home quite depressed, with a picture of a kitchen set up that I don't really like and now Mr Reluctant is raring to go and I have lost interest!

We were told to come home and look again at the kitchen.  Well I have looked and its still a dump!!  So I suppose we'll have to go on with the quest for our kitchen.  We have got Moben coming for an appointment to measure and design a kitchen here on Thursday night.  If you never hear from me again it will because they have tied me up and made me sign my life away to them! 

Mr Reluctant is now talking of tiling the kitchen floor and is stepping brightly around with his tape measure.  I just feel really fed up!

Work has been awful this week.  Nothing on the computer systems worked properly and everything we have tried to do has been frustrating.  A nice touch was that we all got a free cupcake on Friday as a "treat".  Hmmmm.  I suppose it didn't help going back after the Christmas break will all the build up of emails and filing etc., let alone trying to get our heads around a new system which didn't work properly.  Hopefully this week will be better.  We have been so manic that last night I didn't get home until 10.30 p.m.

Martin, my nephew, left his job yesterday ready to start at Asda in Leeds the week after next.  Ahhh, he is packing up at the moment and I suppose I am fed up too because we'll miss him so.  He leaves here on Wednesday.  The only good thing is that we'll have a bit more room round here.

I was on my way to work yesterday and realised that it was the day Matthew should be back at school.  He was still slumbering at home!  Paul dashed back home and tipped him out of bed ... its a really silly idea having to go back to school on a Friday!  Last night Matthew went to Scouts and was so excited to be made a patrol leader.  He has moderate learning difficulties and its a real thrill that he has settled there and now been given this responsibility.  He is now lowering the flag at the end of the Scouts session.  Ahhhh.

Rosie goes back to school on Monday.  I hope that she will settle in a bit better now.  The first term has been a nightmare, for her, what with older girls being bullies, her falling out with her best friend, having her things taken etc. etc. 

Oh well, off to do my shopping in a minute  ... Martin is going to take me, so I will not have to worry about driving in this horrible weather.

Hugs to all.

Terry x

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep your chin up! We just re did our kitchen this year..it is soooooo expensive but so worth it.
hugs
Lyn

Anonymous said...

Ido hope you can reach a compromise with your kitchen and get to enjoy it ,fancy forgetting to go back to scool ,lol Oh I do hope Rosie has a better term ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I had new kitchen cupboards put in by my children last Spring, they also went as far as organizing all the things when they put them back in the cupboards, but it was a good month of things in an uproar.  I didn't get new flooring or counter tops but they did paint the walls for me.  It looks so nice compared to what it used to be and I love working in there now.  Good luck with yours.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

I like the way you write. Sharp and to the point and very very infomative. I wish I could do that but as soon as I start I begin to wander until very soon wander turns to wonder as I look at my work and try to puzzle out how on earth I got into a subject like this,that or any other. I am going to pay more attention to you. I might well learn something.  Thanks,  JIM Halliday

Anonymous said...

Oh girls at school! They are always falling out, I had the same with Catherine and her circle of friends, you feel so hurt for them but at the same time exasperated because they either fall out over things that often have little meaning to adults, or else they are just plain insensitive. The sad thing is I've known a few women carry on with this behaviour, when they should have left it behind years ago and they can make an office a war zone. I am actually good friends now with the girl that used to terrorise me at school.

I hope work settles down soon and that you make the right decision about the kitchen.

Linda x.

Anonymous said...

Moben are good for kitchens,used them in the past..You must be in control with kitchen,'cos if your like me and spend a lot of time in there,both cooking and chatting.It does drive you crazy while kitchen is being built..but worth it in the end(hopefully)
Take care,Kate

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to laugh at 'Mr Reluctant' not being enthusiastic about a new kitchen and now sold on one while you are the one drooping because of the expense. Seems like remodeling is always more expensive than expected.  My mother was the remodeling queen, so we sisters were treated to many and many a war when she decided she just had to have something, and as usual her husband dragged his feet all the way, kicking and screaming.  She once turned the stairs leading to our bedrooms on the second floor around to the opposite direction, not just once but twice.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))))))))))I hope you get everything worked out.I am sorry you been so stressed out.I hope you have a nice week ahead.

Anonymous said...

MFI....Nooooooooooo please don`t do it! we did same time as this last year, we lived a nightmare until March with missing bits etc...etc....Well done ,Matthew wooooo!!! Paul?? well he will lose interest after awhile then you will get your wee bit of design back mine did the same too he he!! and Rosie...she will find her way at school, bullies get bored, the Teens did she had death threats on her phone, when she didn`t react to them they got bored and stopped, I hope Rosies will too. will be thinking of her on Monday and will rub my good luck Buddha for her!
luv bella xx

Anonymous said...

just popped in to say hello....it seems that all these new rules and regulations seem to be at the consumers cost and the retailers gain! my friend had to pay £130 for a certificate to have a small, tiny window in her loo changed! rip off! Linda xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindachapmanuk/metamorphing/

Anonymous said...

It will be exciting once you get a design you like. A good kitchen is so important and it will be worth it once it is done! Love Conniex

Anonymous said...

I hope you get the kitchen you like. Don't you hate it when your husband doesn't want to do something you want and than all the sudden turns around and than wants to do it his way. MEN, I swear. Been there done that.

hugs to you and let us know how things work out.

jennifer

Anonymous said...

Ah Terry...I know how you feel!  I went back to work today and it totally sucked! But the bills won't pay themselves so I will be back there again tomorrow!  I hope you get a nice kitchen after all this.  When we had ours done a few years ago I got such a buzz out of it for months and months after!  I hope you have the same experience.

Oh... and I had the honour of being your 1000th visitor!!!  Do I get a free Jelly Bean??

Hugs to you

Wendy in Oz

Anonymous said...

do you know whats easier,get the design done then decide not to get professionals in,buy the bases and get some end of line cupboard doors etc in the b and q sale lol,cheaper and faster,happy new year,love zoe xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/