Monday 16 April 2007

I love Basildon

I am back from my adventure to Basildon!

My friend's wedding was on Saturday, so Rosie and I (after an exhausting week of shopping and finding all the necessary accessories) set off nice and early for the Holiday Inn at Festival Park.  I like Holiday Inns and this one is a good place to stay.  Its set on a leisure park and surrounded by a lovely lake.  We had a bright, airy room with a lovely view of the lake.

The drive there was horrendous ... I had to access the M25 by the M11 and it was awful getting onto and competing with the big boys in their 4 wheel drives.  My lip was actually shaking by the time I managed to manoeuvre on there.  Luckily though I calmed down and the rest of the journey was fine.

We found the hotel fine, which is on a big leisure complex with cinema, bowling alley, loads of restaurants, TGI Fridays, Chillis, Nandos, Pizza Hut etc. 

Rosie and I threw our bags in the room and then got a cab into Basildon town centre, where we proceeded to inspect the market and shops.  I have never been there before and when I noticed the bus stands, was almost tempted to get a bus into Southend but thought it may leave us a little tight on time.

Gaz, the Asda there is to die for ... lots of kitchen things etc., and its enormous.  Its also got a big Walmart sign up which I haven't noticed at the Harlow Asda.

We found a nice Wimpy bar and had a good lunch before going back to the hotel and meeting up with friends.  We didn't have to be at the wedding until 7pm, so spent a leisurely hour by the lake, sipping diet cokes and then went up to get ready for the festivities.

My friend looked like an angel and her smile was beautiful.  We had a wonderful time there and it was really nice because we knew so many people there from work.  We got up to a lovely breakfast at the Holiday Inn, I was like a little sheep grazing.  After we checked out we decided to go bowling and ended up leaving the complex at about 1pm to go home.  I felt like I had had a little holiday. 

We came home to a very quiet house as Matthew has gone to Salcombe in Devon for a few days with his school.  It feels very strange without him and I haven't let myself really enjoy the peace and quiet yet.  Paul took him to get the coach early yesterday morning.  He'll be back on Friday by which time I think we'll really be missing him.  I am dreading the washing coming home with him though.

Rosie and I went to the dentist last week and she had her tooth out for the brace work.  She was so brave, ahh.  Mrs Coward here has to have a blimming root canal done on that dodgy tooth.  I can't wait until the 28th, not!

The kitchen is almost done .. we are waiting for the tiler.  I'll put the pictures on then. 

I wish everyone a great week.

Hugs

Terry x

 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosie is lovely ,so pleased you enjoyed the wedding ,pleased your kitchen is nearly done ,and yes brace your self for the washing ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed the wedding - cant wait to see pics of the kitchen! Laine xxx

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))Glad you both had a good time,woul love to see the pics.Have a nice night.

Anonymous said...

I guess you did have a holiday .  It all sounds wonderful.  It's so nice you had a 'girls' time out. We all need that now and then.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

I SO can't wait until your kitchen is done.  You've been more fun than the Home and Garden Channel!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see your new kitchen.  You are one brave lady driving on that M25!  I'd rather run around the neighbourhood naked than do that!  Big pat on the back to you for braving it yourself!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I used to do the M11/M25 when we lived in Cardiff and we went to visit M-I-L in Suffolk but although I'm not keen on busy Motorways they are just everyday here so I suppose I'm used to it, the M5/M6 intersection here is acknowledged as the worst in the country and we have to do that every time we want to go to Ikea.

I love those sort of hotel breakfasts, I usually eat enough so that I don't have to have a lunch!

Linda.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully we will see slightly less 4 wheel drives once the added tax kicks in.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/

Anonymous said...

That sounds great, i meed to do that its a shame i cant drive!!Beckie.xx

Anonymous said...

Wedding sounds fun! Lovely pics! I like Holiday Inns too. Love Conniex

Anonymous said...

The pictures of Rosie are lovely and her dress looks very pretty ~ I hate to drive on the motorways ~ how brave of you to take it on ~ The Hotel sounded great and your trip to Basildon market and shops ~ I love wandering through Market places ~ Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your Kitchen ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Rosie is gorgeous!  She looks so grown up - a real lady! Glad you had a good time. Sometimes just one good day can make you feel refreshed and like you've been on holidays! Sounds like just what you needed!
Enjoy your peaceful week.

Hugs

Wendy in Oz

Anonymous said...

Wow Rosie sure is a beauty!!
I love wimpy burgers... ;-)
Lyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Tells - wish i had been with you and Rosie on your Basildon Adventure sounds fun and that the wedding was super........ Rosie looks soooooo lovely, shame their was not a photo of he two of you together.
Luv Jayne x

Anonymous said...

You love Basildon???? God almighty! Go to the George shop in Southend, you will love it...... ;-)
Gaz

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the wedding nice day for it as the weather was glorious, Your on the last leg now for your kitchen to be finished. Rosie looked lovely. good luck wit h the dentist(I need to go)

have a good week

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time, Rosie looks great in her outfit.
luv bella x

Anonymous said...

I found a book in the thrift store called "Londoners" which has alot of maps in it.  I wish I had one about your area so I could picture it more clearly in my mind.  That busy highway you were traveling sounded like the Los Angeles Freeways.  I felt sheer terror on those things more than once.  How far are you from London? My daughter had 4 wisdom teeth extracted at once and dry sockets.  It was horrible.  She also had teeth pulled to prevent crookedness.  The doctor said he would give her gas and she would feel no pain.  I was disconcerted when she made this loud crying sound the whole time she was out!  Oh our teeth, what we go through to save them.  I someetimes envied Pierre who had his out when he was 15.  His dentures were beautiful and having no teeth did not spoil his looks at all!  My dad had his out when he was 26.  What am I talking about.  We would not do that, would we?   Gerry