Monday 9 April 2007

Lovely days

I have had some lovely lazy days.  In fact I feel so laid back I am almost vertical!

Yesterday Matthew and I went off to the car boot which is held at the end of our village.  Yesterday it was massive.  I was on a short time limit as Chris was coming to visit at 11.30 a.m.   I got some wonderful bargains for Matthew, mainly clothes and we found a Friends Annual for Rosie.  I got myself a lovely teapot, which has lots of teddy bears on and the words "the day the teddy bears had their picnic" around the lid and base.  When I can get photos working I'll post a picture of it.  Its funny, we have an old cd in the car with children's tunes on it and one of them is the Teddy Bear's Picnic.  Rosie and I always sing along to it and its a joke between us that when I don't know the words of a song, I'll always just sing the word "picnic" and make her scream with laughter.  As I don't know the words of most songs, I sing the word "picnic" quite a lot.  Oooh, mad or what.  Anyway, we are thrilled with our teapot.

I also picked up a tiny cd/radio player and have been boogying around in the kitchen to it. 

My sister, Chris, arrived on time and stayed for about an hour and then her daughter, Carolyne and family came.  We had a great afternoon.  All the boys and Rosie and Martin's girlfriend, Julia, went fishing up the river and Carolyne, Emma and I sat and chatted.  Emma is still confused as to who the father of the baby could be.  Quite honestly neither boy can offer her much.  One boy was a very casual affair just before Christmas and the other boy who she started to see in early January has a girlfriend of long standing, and is seeing Emma behind her back .... She is due on 7th October and is about 13 weeks pregnant.  She says she had a period at the beginning of January.  I am not an expert at working this out but think it must be the boy in December who got her pregnant and maybe she had a false period afterwards.  Anyway, she is feeling very sorry for herself but excited about the baby.  She has never worked and the future looks bleak.  I can only hope that this all works out for her and the baby.  I will support her all I can though, she has made a lot of mistakes in her life and I thought she had had 2 other pregnancies.  In fact it has been 3 and this is the fourth.  She had 2 miscarriages and feels she must goahead with this pregnancy.  This is a really tangled web.

Martin left last night with Julia, so they could spend today with her mother.  He was reluctant to go and I know he misses us very much when he is not here.  Julia was again unwell over the weekend, nuff said!  The kids would love to see Martin alone but I don't think it will happen unless we go to visit him.  Hmmm, maybe I will do that if I can work out a couple of days off.

Not a great night's sleep last night!  We didn't go to bed until about 1.30 a.m. and every time I settled down Billy began barking.  I just can't lie there with maybe something happening downstairs or outside, so down I came and at 3 a.m. I was watching telly!  Paul of course just lets me take over guard duties and sleeps on like a babe!  We have had our car stolen twice from outside and also Rosie's bike. Billy really barked when the bike went and I ignored him, so I just have to go and check, just in case.  One night he started barking and I threw open the window and sure enough there was a man near our car.  I shouted out "what are you doing?" and he replied "I'm the milkman! ... oooh the embarrassment.  Paul was shaking with laughter!  Anyway, finally at 4 a.m. I went upstairs and this time my dear little dog finally settled and managed to get a good few hours of kip in!

I am taking Audrey out this afternoon to the local garden centre.  She came over yesterday and asked what time we'd be going.  I told her 2pm as I have some jobs to do here.  She said "ooh, its cheaper there in the morning" .... I think she wanted to go in the morning, don't you?  Poor Audrey is getting more senile and weak.  She has lost so much weight and is telling me the same story over and over as if I hae never heard it before.  She has been up and down to the hospital and as far as I know it is nothing too serious but she is on steroids and it has made the skin on her arms and legs very fragile.  She is lonely and fed up and hangs on her gate waiting for someone to chat to.  Although she is frail, she has been up and down the lane deadheading all the daffodils which are planted in the bank.  She walks up and down to the village every day (which is a good mile in my reckoning).  She visits here about 3 times a day if I am at home.  She always brings something with her for us, brussel sprouts, old china, uneaten cakes with a chunk out, a lot of it is all out of date and then last week she tried to give me her old jacket.  We have also had a pair of her husband's old swimming trunks ... don't laugh!  She has no kids and if anyone would have made a great mother, it is her.  She is now 78 and told me she tried infertility clinics years ago with no luck.  Ahh. 

Anyway, just got to go and do some jobs. 

Hope everyone is having a lovely, restful time.

Hugs

Terry x

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its nice you've chilled out Terry, having the family around helps. It's good your neice has you to talk to so young to have all this happening to her.
Enjoy the rest of the break
Hugs

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))Sounds like you had a busy weekend,but glad you spent some time with family.I would love to see the pic of the tea pot.I hope and pray it all works out for Emma.Have a nice day and I hope you get some rest.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Yasmin.  It's good your grand niece has you to talk to.  I  can't wait to see a picture of the teapot!  Can you believe I had never been to a car boot sale!!!!!!  Plenty of yard sales over in North America, but no car boot sales here....they always seem to be on Sundays and I am stuck in church on Sunday mornings.  Not that I am complaining as I do love to be in church on Sundays...just wish I could squeeze in a car boot sale!  Sounds like you can find lots of treasures at them!
Happy Monday!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great day.  I would love to be looking a flowers, They say we will be just over the freezing mark here , so maybe the snow will melt.  You are a good friend to your neice and also to your neighbor.  It sounds like they both  need someone to care right now.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

You sound so happy Terry! I'm glad you are finding some time to enjoy yourself and the children too.  I know what you mean about the dog barking, Daisy does that too and I can't settle either till I know everything is ok and John just sleeps through it all!
Thanks for your kind words for my mum too. She is doing much better.

Enjoy your days off!

Hugs

Wendy in Oz

Anonymous said...

Oh did I PMP at you shouting at the milkman!
Gaz oxo

Anonymous said...

Brilliant as always!! Busy time and lots packed in too! Lazy days are the best and I`m sure things will work out with your niece.
luv bella xx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a good Easter.

What a shame about Audrey, getting old is miserable, especially when you don't have family, or have family and they don't bother with you.

Linda x.

Anonymous said...

my mom collects teapots. That's too bad that Emma is going through what she is going through. I hope it all works out. the milkman?!?!? have a nice day!! lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry - always love reading your journal! You are brave to open window at that time of the morning! I would be so scared if Oscar started barking in the middle of the night! I really dont know what I'd do if I saw someone outside and it wouldnt be a milkman as we dont have one in our Close! Laine xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/elainey2465/art-degree/

Anonymous said...

Ha that could be my nan!!well impossible if she never had kids, but it sounds like her.You are mark would get on if you like bootsales, he can never get up on time for work but on a sunday morning hes up with the birds ready for the bootsale!!Nutter.Beckie.xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Terry ...'the milkman ' I love your friend Audrey,pleased you had fun at the boot sale havent been to one for years I used to love them ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

lovely entry!!
Lyn

Anonymous said...

Tells, what a fab entry .....loved the milkman tale ...hehee!   and as for  your friend bringing you bits and bobs  - i have an old chipped milk jug you can have ....heehee
Luv Jaynee xx

Anonymous said...

An interesting time you had with your sister. I feel sort of concerned about the pregnancy. A rough go.  I did have to laugh at your vigilance keeping the cars, etc, from being stolen.  A black cook I used to work with would sit at his window and doze all night after his red car was stolen twice!  Gerry