Wednesday 16 May 2007

My bread a picture at last

 

Well blimming 'eck ... Ally alerted me to the fact that there was something different about adding pictures and I have found that I am able to add my bread at last.   Now its really easy, had to be if I was able to do it and it looks very professional.  It is delicious just after baking and for the rest of the day.  Sliced thinly with some cheese on the side, ooooh.

8oz self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1oz butter
1 smallish onion finely chopped
4oz mature cheddar cheese coarsely grated (I just chopped it up)
1 egg
4-5 tablespoons of milk

Mix the flour and pepper together and rub in the butter

Stir in the onion and cheese and make a well in the centre

Whisk together the egg and milk and pour into the well and mix to a soft dough

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed quickly into a small round of about 6-7 inches

Using a knife cut a lattice on top of the round, pressing quite hard so definite cut marks showing

Put on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 190 or gas mark 5 until well risen or golden brown (about 40 minutes).  Turn the bread over and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack.

I hope you are able to try doing this.  Let me know what you think of it, its a great hit in my family and last time I did it I ended up having to make another one and fighting them off of it until Paul got home and could have a slice!

ps:  Got home to find the tiler has been again and tiles all grouted now ... so not much to do now and the kitchen will finally be done (new plugs put on and decorating ceiling and wall).

hugs to all, Fanny Craddock the 2nd aka Terry x

 

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe !  I'll be trying it out for sure.  Just need to get some cheddar cheese now.  Yes we have a new way to add pictures and also noticed that the color chart was somewhat different too.  I'll be looking forward to pictures of the kitchen next !  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))Looks so yummy.Have a nice night.

Anonymous said...

Ohh, that bread looks lovely.  I'll be trying some of that for myself soon!  (well once I am off the diet that is!)  Thanks so much for sharing with us!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

PS-  I bet your much nicer than Fanny!  She seemed a cantankerous old so and so!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Bread looks good, if I have the time I will give it a go.

We have a silly family joke in this house, when I'm cooking Mike does the fetching and peeling for me, he likes to say 'He is the Johnny to my Fanny' lol.

Linda. x

Anonymous said...

Hi fanny, im gonna go and make this rihgt now, my freezer is bare but i have an abundance of onions and flour lol!Cheers!Beckie.xx

Anonymous said...

Hey that  Bread looks delicious Think Im going to have a go ,did you just post the one picture ? ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Well done Fanny Craddock!
luv bella xx

Anonymous said...

that bread looks delicious. I have a bread making machine I got for xmas about 5 years ago and only used once. I must get it out and try again............Jules xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jules19642001/Itsmylife/

Anonymous said...

that bread looks delicious!!!
HUGS, lisa

Anonymous said...

It looks so good...yum!!  Have a great Sunday...hugs,
Joyce