Saturday 2 June 2007

Wot a week!

So ... it has been a nice week for me.  The worst was that I had to go into work on Bank Holiday Monday and the journey there and back to home was a torture.  But then, its over now!

We had a great time with Martin here last week.  He took us all out to the Harvester on Saturday and we were in there for 3 blimming hours.  I haven't been to the Harvester for years and they do an early bird deal which makes it a lot cheaper if you eat there in the afternoon.  I can honestly say that it was the best meal I had out for a long time.  I had their ribs, they were absolutely gorgeous, followed by a shared (enormous) knickerbocker glory. 

We then came home and watched Dr Who, which was the best episode ever.  The second part is on tonight and the children and I can't wait to see it.  The aliens were fantastic, they took the form of humans and put their heads to the side and sniffed deeply trying to find Dr Who.  We have been doing it all week, the head to the side and deep sniffs.  We'll have to stop, people will think we're strange, ha ha.

On Tuesday I had the day off and had a fairly quiet day, apart from having to buy yet another pair of school shoes for Rosie .... oooh there are only 6 weeks left until end of term but hers are falling apart.  In the afternoon I had to take Matthew to the dentist for a check up and they did a filling whilst I sat in the chair on the other side of the room.  Well, I had an appointment today to have my root canal done, guess who chickened out after sitting there with all those drills going???  Yup, it was me.  I have put it off yet again until the 16th.  Will I go then?  God knows?  I have realised that I don't like the dentist at all.  There is no interaction between us or any kindness from her.  I think that is causing me a big problem in going back to her.  She has absolutely no sympathy for me and I think that is my problem.  I am so scared to go to the dentist and need someone who at least talks to me in a kind way.  Oh well, its not a problem now for a week or so.  The tooth plays up occasionally but not that much that I feel I need to go urgently. Incidentally, Matthew was fine having the filling and didn't have an injection but just watching it all freaked me out.

Anyway,after all the trauma of the dentist visit, I took an hour or so to recover my equilibrium and decided that the children and I would go and see Pirates of the Carribean.  Well .... although I concentrated as hard as I could, I could not make out what the bloody hell was going on!  All I knew was that after 2 and half hours of sitting there, that when they commenced yet another battle and Johnny Depp started swinging round on his bit of rope landing here and there, I felt a deep desperation to escape and flee the cinema.  I thought no, not another battle, when is this film every going to finish!  Also, there was a chap in it who looked identical to a really obnoxious fellow at work and everytime his face came up on screen I thought omigod its S........!  Its a long film and maybe best viewed at home where you don't get such a numb bum!

On Thursday I met up with a friend who had worked with us for a few months.  She has been to New Zealand and was back here for a week before going back to South Africa for good.  Lots of us from the office arranged to meet her round the corner from our office in a good bar.  A lot of other friends came from work and one couple who got together in the last 3 months announced their engagement.  Watch this space for wedding details.  They are both very nice people and its nice to see them so happy.  We had a great singer there as well and I requested Sexy Thing and had a bit of a dance round before I left.  My foot is hurting a bit now, must have danced a bit too energetically, eh?  I gave my South African friend £20 to get a bottle of wine and when they gave it to her for nothing because there were a lot of us there, I told her to keep it.  Now, I know my South African friend has been really hard up but I was a bit staggered when she said on our parting that if ever I had any spare cash to send it to her!!!!  It left a bit of a bad taste and I feel a bit sad about it.  My sister said that perhaps she had been drunk when she said it and maybe that was it. I don't know why she thinks I am a moneybags ... I wish I was.    I had quite a nice bit of wine and apart from the the money thing,  I had good evening with many friends.

I have upgraded our holiday caravan (the surprise one for the children) to a GOLD!!  I must be crazy, I am paying £440 for 3 nights.  Maybe I could send some to my friend in South Africa, ha ha!  No, this cash was earned by my hard work going in on the other bank holiday we recently had on the Sunday and Monday and I worked blimming hard for it shifting boxes and clearing up the office.  I am still keeping this a secret from the children and only intend to tell them the afternoon before we go.  Then I will still keep it secret that their brother Martin and sister Lisa will be there too until they all turn up to leave!  Oooh, what fun, eh!

Last night Rosie and I went to the local Civic Centre to see the local Pop Idol final.  Lots of children from 12-18 in this area have competed to get into the final.  They had 100s enter and then they had to go through another round from their first auditions.  There were 12 acts and it was extremely well presented.  They had dancers who were extremely well choreographed for most of the acts too.  We had to laugh as there were many stage school kids, one of which had appeared in the West End in Mary Poppins and was sooooo precious!  A boy won who sung "Kiss for a rose".  When he sang Baaaaabbbby he made me jump and then want to giggle!  I was surprised he won because I thought others were better.  We did have a wonderful time and the audience could vote too.  The boy we liked who had a wonderful voice won the audience vote.

So, guess then who found herself on the settee when I woke up this morning?  I have done the wonky walk for the last hour or so whilst my neck tries to straighten up.  I must have just laid in the same position all night.

Well, I must go and do some jobs and get dressed, ho hum.  Sun is shining and weather is warm, yeeeeeeh.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Tells x

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful week, despite having to work on Monday!  I had to work Bank Holiday Monday as well.  I'll be taking a few days off before my trip to Canada  to make up for it though!  Have a great weekend too!  Hope you can work the kinks out of your neck!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

What a great entry Terry ,fast moving ,like your week, busy as ever ,I can relate to your dentist appointment ,I had a 6 monthly check up booked some time in May ?? lol getting old and forgetful (usefull sometimes) have a good weekend ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

great entry.. your kids are going to love their holiday...that was a bit cheeky about the money...weird really..oh well...glad you had some fun and a little boogie... ;-)
Lyn

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have been busy and doing well...good for you. I dont like Johnny Depp so i have never seen those movies....i bet you and the kids will have a great time away. Love,lisa   PS- i wouldnt give that woman any more money either. She was rude!

Anonymous said...

I tell ya, the 20 quid woulda bin whipped out of her hand and tucked firmly in my knickers! I hope you didn't tell her you are paying £440 to spend three nights in a caravan? That's why she thought you are money bags!!! ;-)
Gaz

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoyed the second part of Dr Who tonight it was magic!!! I love it too! I`m with the previous comment that £20 would have been back in my purse quicker than you could say "BOO" what a cheek!!! Can`t wait to hear what the kids reaction to going away to the caravan is, I`ll be checking out this space he he!!
luv bella xx

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))))Hope you enjoy the rest of your movie.Have a nice night.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, you had to work on a holiday...that happens to my husband so many times.
I can't stand dentist either...bad experience, myself.  My husband took the grandkids to see Pirates of the Carribean...long movie!!  But he enjoyed....have a wonderful week...many hugs,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Hmm, well this is a good rundown of your activities which I enjoyed reading very much.  I had to laugh at you getting tired of an interminable movie.  In some movies you pray for the end.  Doc and I thought "The Departed" would never end and it won the Academy Award for best picture.  I intend to avoid Pirates of the Carribean 2 and 3.  Number 1 was too long for me  "Zodiac" ran close to 3 hours. It was quite good but not that good.  I had to laugh at your S African friend.  Mybe she thought it would be a long time before she saw you again and may as well try to secure a little more than you gave her since you were so kind  And I do so know what dental phobias can be like. I had a friend who was letting all her teeth rot she had such a thing about going.  She got a promotion to manager only if she got her teeth seen to.  She had them all pulled out and was glad not to worry about them anymore!  Gerry  

Anonymous said...

My dentist would say sorry for everything she done.But she was absolutely mad she was once drilling my tooth whilst having an argument with her boyfried on speakerphone, she had big frizzy hair and wore long stripey cardis but i trusted her completely, my new dentist doesnt hardly speak english so there is no communication and it has put me off going back, i have a slihgt toothache now so I can completely appreciate what you are saying, but try to go to that appointment, its better than screaming in pain..Take care, Beckiexxx

Anonymous said...

Terry you make me smile everytime I read one of your entries!  Today you made my day with your 'knickerbocker glory"!!!  That was my adored Nan's favourite treat when we went to South End as kids!  I had forgotten all about it until just now!  Thank you for unlocking that wonderful memory!  And I'm with Gaz and Linda - I would have whipped that 20 quid back - quick smart!  Bloody cheek!  Anyway, glad you had a good time with the girls and I totally understand about the dentist - they are all EVIL and should be EXTERMINATED!!!

Hugs

Wendy in Oz

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your dentist didn't have a good chair side manner, hehe.  I don't know what a knickerbocker is or the Harvester, but sounds good?  BTW, I LOVE JOHNNY DEPP, I have since I was like 5.....so any movie with him in it keeps my interest, even if my butt goes numb :)

Amy

Anonymous said...

Harvesters are good value for money! I go to one here which is very good. Dr Who was excellent this week wsn't it! My Nikki took her boys to Pirates abnd said it was far too long. The things we do for the kids! Love Conniex