Tuesday 10 October 2006

Mum's Memoirs, Part 3

Part 3 of my mum's memoirs

I'd like to say thanks for the comments.  As I have said previously I know my mum would be thrilled to know that others are enjoying these.

 

Mother would spend hours gossiping with the neighbours. She liked Mrs Shefayk best. They had several daughters who crocheted for a living and made hats in a room at the top of the house, they would let me watch them. They had models of heads without faces and draw the crochet work over it and stretch it, pressing with an iron on a damp cloth.

Frani and Sofie did not earn much. Frani had a lover. A married man who was always visiting them. His hair was thinning and the front had long bare ridges going up. I used to wonder about his hair. Perhaps he was born with it like that or perhaps it was shaved. If I were him I wouldn’t have it like that. I couldn’t think why a pretty girl like Frani would want a lover like that. He was quite old, nearly as old as father.

I was quite fascinated by hair at the time. Mother wore her hair in a bun at the back of her head. She would take out all the long pins, and comb it, then plait it, then fold it round and round until it was a bun. Then those pins would go in. But where? After giving the matter a lot of thought I decided she must have holes in her head where the pins would fit.

At Xmas time there was great activity. The ladies all went round to a woman friend’s house who made chocolate for them. The chocolate was cooked from cocoa in a big pot. A large zinc bath would be brought into the kitchen and filled with snow. Little fancy forms would be laid in the snow and the chocolate spooned into the forms where it would soon freeze the chocolate. When it came from the forms it was lovely iced chocolate, cold and crisp.

St Nicholas and the devil would come around before Xmas. The devil was terrifying. All black fur with horns and a black tail, so long it was held up in his arms and chains to chain bad children to him to take to hell! He also carried a bundle to twigs to beat the children if the parents told him they were naughty. St Nicholas was all golden and white with a long white wavy beautiful beard, a bishop’s cap on his head and a staff like a shepherd.

The devil came first rattling his chains shrieking “Are there any bad children in this house?”. I would shake with fright! Mother would push me to him and he would ask me had I been naughty? Had I not listened to my mother and father? Did I swear? Hadn’t I gone to church on Sunday? He would try to take little swipes at me with the birch. I would solemnly swear that I had been very good, always listened to my mother and father and went to church and loved God, as I had been taught to say.

Then St Nicholas would push the devil aside and praise me for being so good. He would not let the devil take me. I was too good for him. So good had I been that he gave me apples and oranges and sweets.

Then he would tell me to be very good the next year, or even better, for next year he might not be able to stop the devil taking me.

It was quite an ordeal. Not like the tame English Father Xmas.

At Xmas we would decorate a large Xmas tree, right up to the ceiling from the floor.

Next morning I found a doll in a box beneath the tree. She was beautiful. Her name would be Emily. The most beautiful name for the loveliest doll. She had a china head with real hair. In fact mother’s black hair that she had cut and made up into a wig by a hairdresser. She had beautiful blue eyes that closed, a red open mouth and white teeth. Mother would not let me play with her all the time. I would have to put her back into the box and put it into the wardrobe.

I would remember her sometimes and with a sinking feeling think she must be dead. I could not remember when I had last fed her. I would get her out of the wardrobe and stuff food down into her mouth - eggs and pieces of bread. Then I would pour milk into her and I would feel at least she would not die.

Hope everyone has a nice week.

Terry

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great story:) have a wonderful week

Deb

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying this,looking forward to the next episode ,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

This is so interesting and so well written. I can picture it all in my mind. Fascinating.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I have asked a few friends to drop by. I know they will enjoy your writing as much as I do.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

hi Terry...

lovely story...

Astra!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/astra1547/astrasjournal

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your mothers story. I look forward to each entry. What a thoughtful Mother she had, to cut her own hair to be made into a wig for her beloved doll.

Please keep writing.
Toodles,
Tia

Anonymous said...

I went back and read your entire journal.  Wow!  You're a busy lady.  I really enjoyed reading your mother's writing.  What a joy it must be for you to have her written memories.  What a treasure! I found your journal thru Jeannette at Jeannette's Jottings.  I'm glad she introduced me to you.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Oh what a lovely story.  You are so blessed with these memories.  I've never heard the tale of the devil and St. Nicholas before.  Of course I'd heard of St.Nicholas but never like that.  Jeanette sent me over to read your journal.  I've enjoyed it thoughly and will be back to visit often.
'On Ya' - ma   http://journals.aol.com/marainey1/GoodMorningSunshine/

Anonymous said...

Hiya Terry. Jeannette sent me over, and I am so glad she did!! I have put you on alerts, pop over and see me at some point. Where in hertfordshire? I know it pretty well. ttfn, Joan
http://journals.aol.co.uk/aniracj/StrannyDayze/
http://journals.aol.co.uk/aniracj/TheBandAyleysComet/

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying this Terry, I like the idea of St Nicholas AND the devil, I'd love to try it on some of my naughty children at school.

Linda x.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindaggeorge/GeorgeMansions/

Anonymous said...

Hello Terry,  I`m here at Jeannette`s request.  I`ve just read all of your mum`s memoirs so far and I found them really interesting. :o)

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hello Terry - Excellent, excellent, excellent...... and if your mothers 'tales of childhood' do not inspire you to write i don't know what will.    What a lovely mother you had, she writes so well, i loved the description of them making the chocolate.   And hey, look at your fanbase now !
Jayne x