Sunday 8 October 2006

Sunday lovely Sunday

Yesterday was busy as usual.  Rosie had gone to her friend's house for the day, so Matthew and I had an afternoon alone together.  His older brother Martin was at home and could have looked after him but the wonderful Julia appeared again on Friday night and they were both otherwise occupied (lazy so and so's still in bed at 3pm when Matthew and I went out).

Matthew had decided he'd quite like a new bycycle pump (for his footballs) today - that was his mission to try to get one out of me!  I was determined I would not surrender and I am pleased to say that I was the winner!  Last week he persuaded me to buy him that DS game Brainpower - I think Chris Tarrant is advertising it on the telly at the moment.  He won that round.  Anyway, it can't be Christmas every week for him, so I stood firm. 

I took him to our favourite little cafe and he did manage to get a Knickerbocker Glory out of me.  We used to love them as kids, it was always a treat.  My mum used to drag us to a Polish dentist who lived at Shepherds Bush when we were young and the only way she could persuade us to go was to promise a trip to the wimpy and a knickerbocker glory afterwards which was nearby to where his dental surgery was.  Yes, we always fell for it ... we never used to remember that the last time she promised that we couldn't eat anything, let alone have a knickerbocker glory, if we had had to have a filling as our mouths would be so yucky after having an injection.  I can always remember not being able to feel my lip afterwards and not realise it was bleeding because I had chewed on it without realising.  He must have used some strong stuff - probably laced with Vodka!  Mum had absolute faith in him because another (English) dentist had told her that she had to lose all her teeth and he saved them, so he was her God.  I must admit he was ok but it was always a torture going to see him, not knowing whether you'd get your wimpy and knickerbocker glory or not.

Anyway, I digress a bit ... I am going to post a bit more of mummy's memoirs on a separate entry.  I had a little boo hoo last night because I had spent some time typing more up (this time in word, so I could spell check, god I can't believe that I do this for a living when I see some of the typos I make).  Anyway, Rosie came in and asked to have a little read and I was explaining to her how wonderful it was that she could maybe get to know my mum's personality through her writing about when she was young and how I had concentrated a lot more on what she was saying when I was typing it up and didn't remember taking it in when I was reading through it when I was a lot younger.  Rosie never met Mummy, as she died a year before Rosie arrived and Mummy never knew that Barbara was pregnant.  Anyway, I said to Rosie that I hoped she would keep it and show her children too, so they could know their great grandmother.  Anyway, all of a sudden waves of grief for mum hit me ... I am pretty contained usually ... I hold a lot in and I know its not good ...  I had to go outside to boo hoo and then try to compose myself.  Mummy died in 1994 and I suppose I have tried not to focus on it too much as its painful and  typing up her memoirs up make me feel so close to her.  I know she would be thrilled that I am doing it and I am keeping a separate copy, so I can let the family have it. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had nightmare dentist visits back in the 50's and 60's. They seem to be a lot less painful these days, I suppose the equipment they use is better. Do you remember the SIZE of the needles they used to use back then. He'd be standing halfway across the room while he was giving you a local anasthetic and the drills used to double as something used in road works!

Linda,

http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindaggeorge/GeorgeMansions/

Anonymous said...

when i was a kid my mum had to drag me to the dentist screaming...

Astra