Friday 13 October 2006

Reading and Liverpool

I am really a bit of a bookworm but nothing too heavy.  A War and Peace Girl I certainly ain't!

I do like reading autobiograpies but have a particular love of novels which take place from the 1950s onwards.  I am not keen on historical novels.

I thought I'd just mention a couple of books I had read lately as I would recommend them for a good read. 

Firstly  I read Olivia Goldsmith's "Wish upon a Star" recently.  I really enjoyed it, it was an easy read although a little far fetched at times.   The story starts off in Manhattan and then moves to London.  I was really sad at the end of the book to read that it had been Olivia's last novel as she had died shortly after completing it.  She was American and it seems she really loved London.  She wrote "The First Wives Club" and in total she wrote 11 novels, so I will have to catch up on the others.

At the moment I am reading "Kitty and her sisters" by Maureen Lee.  Maureen Lee came from Liverpool and all of her novels are based in that area although I believe she lives in Colchester, Essex now.  I first bought one of her novels when my husband, Paul and I took a weekend trip to Liverpool.  It was great, we had afternoon tea and cakes at the Adelphi, which is a very famous Liverpool hotel and then we took a ferry across the mersey from Albert Docks - just across the way from the famous Liver Bird building, which I think is the headquarters of an insurance company.  Of course I had to sing that song and then to my surprise they played it over the tannoy too.  Paul and I are such Beatles fans, and it was such a thrill for us to be there.  We went on the magical mystery tour bus with a lot of Japanese tourists and we went to all the houses where the Beatles had lived and had a wonderful tour all round, past "Penny Lane" and then on to "Strawberry Fields", each time all trooping off the magical mystery tour bus (of course it was bright yellow!!!) and then back on again.  Then we took ourselves off to the Cavern, where I almost fell down the stairs.  It was a tiny place, and it stank of pee! Mind you, we can say we have been and it was a wonderful weekend.  Anyway ... I have gone off the track here.  Maureen Lee - her books are wonderful.  I bought my first Maureen Lee book at Albert Dock from the RNLI shop where they were also selling other things from Liverpool apart from theRNLI stuff.  It was called "Stepping Stones".  I knew from the first few lines that it was my sort of book.  She is one of my favourite authors and I can highly recommend her.  I am thoroughly enjoying "Kitty and her sisters" and keep nearly missing my stop on the train. Be glad when I blimming finish it!

Coincidentally, my good friend Audrey (she is a bit of a mum figure to me and has been like a gran to the children) is from Liverpool.  She is 74 and is mad keen on Paul O'Grady and I have managed to get TV tickets for next Wednesday at White City to see him record the show.  I haven't seen his show as its on when I am at work but she watches it faithfully every week.  She says she is going to make a big badge so he will notice her!  She hasn't been too well lately and I hope she will be well enough to go as we'll have to take the train and tube.  She is a great girl and I am sure we will have a great laugh.  She is very loud and I bet if we do get there she will make sure he stops and speaks to her.  I think the show is televised a week or so later after recording so I'll let you know when it will be on.  I do hope he is not too up himself and is nice with the audience as she will be disappointed in him otherwise.

Catch you later.

Terry

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry  I have made a note of the books,you have recommended,sounds like the stuff I like to read ,in fact I was talking about similar on my journal yeterday ,Yes lets know when the programe goes out Iwatch it quite often ,.,.,Jan xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeadie05/Serendipity/

Anonymous said...

hi Terry...

I watch Paul O'Grady every day, let us know when the one you go to see will be on TV and i hope you and your friend enjoys the show...i'm sure you will, he is quite funny! best wishes...

Astra!

Anonymous said...

I did read the First Wives Club and will have to try out the others you suggested.  I do love to read.  Thanks for the tips.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry - Your weekend trip to Liverpool sounded fabulous, thats something that appeals to me (must put that on my 'to do' list).    Since i have been home these past two weeks i have been watching Paul O'Grady, he is quite funny - hope you both enjoy the programme.
Luv Jayne x

Anonymous said...

have a good weekend:)

Deb