Wednesday 25 October 2006

A poem for my friend/Dentist

I have told you before about my dear friend Mary and how much I miss her.  A little while after she died I found this poem and it still sums up how I feel about her.  I found the scrap of paper I wrote it on tonight, I don't know who wrote it but I like it, so I thought I'd share it.

Once in a while you find a friend whos your friend right from the start

Once in a while the friendship's so strong it really warms your heart

Once in a while that friendship lasts your whole lifetime through

It only happens once in a while. Like it happened with me and you.

I am lucky that I have other good friends but she has left a big gap.

Anyway, onwards and upwards to more cheerful things.  I am off to another wedding this weekend.  Its a lovely girl I work with who is getting married in Surrey. 

Paul will stay home to look after Matthew and Rosie and I will be going on this adventure alone!  We have decided to book into a hotel for the night of the wedding, so I will get myself up early on Saturday to drive there.  The AA routemaster says it should take 1 hour and 20 mins, I think I will double that.  I always get lost and don't drive very quickly - I am a real weekend driver.  East Grinstead 'ere I come! 

The wedding is being held at a big country house hotel and I am sure we are going to have a great time.  No, I am not staying there as it is £175 a night to do that.  I am in the cheapie up the road.  There are a few others from work going, so I am sure we will have a great time together.

We are being very dental in this house at the moment.  Matthew is due to have his braces off next week, with a follow up the week after.  He has worn them for 3 years now and its very excited.  He had very goofy teeth before and also a few too many of them, so has gone through quite a bit of pain and discomfort over the years sorting them out.  He has really been brave throughout it.  Anyway, he has come home today from Kidsclub having broken one of his front teeth - eeek!  This particular tooth is an old favorite, having now been capped three times since he dove into a swimming pool with his mouth open!  I know it can be fixed (although the first time I was really worried).  We are so near having lovely teeth for him and now this.  I hope I can get an appointment for him before he gets his braces off, so at least he will have a completely wonderful smile.

I am girding my loins to do battle with the local dentist tomorrow and to beg them to fix Matthew's tooth quickly and on a convenient day for me!! Wish me luck.  They do normally see children quickly but they too have all these new rules - they don't see children every 6 months, now its only once a year.

Still on about teeth (yawn).  Apparently Rosie has a tooth growing at a funny angle out of her bottom jaw, which has only been noticed on xrays recently when we went for her appointment to be assessed for a brace.  I was  told that she did not qualify for a brace for her twisted top front tooth and so we must pay £1300 to sort it out!  Apparently I can set up a standing order, how nice.  I wonder why I go to work and pay all these contributions.  Anyway, I have been waiting for an appointment at the hospital for her about this funny angled tooth.  In July, I got a lovely letter from the Health Authority asking me to choose which hospital I wanted to use, then I waited 2 months before I got a letter to phone up to sort out an appoinemtn, and now I have been told that I had no choice at all and I have to take her miles away to the only clinic for it to a far off hospital!  Its crazy, why not just give me an appointment there in the first place and not waste my time pondering as to which was the best hospital for her, filling in the papers and sending them back?  Is it a mad system or what?

PS: still on the dental front, guess which coward is going on 4th November after a 5 year absence and is only being forced there because her teeth keep playing up?

Catch you later.

Terry

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your dear friend.  I too have lost more than one in my lifetime, all we can do is cherish the fact that for whatever brief time we did have them, it was a great friendship.  I never go to the dentist either, unless I'm forced too.  It is expensive and usually painful.  I hate to pay for pain.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

have fun this weekend:) sorry about your friend:( i hate dentists i would go and get a tooth fixed and then you know what happened the tooth would break off around the filling ugh so now i have false teeth lol

Deb

Anonymous said...

Hello Terry - i kept wincing and rubbing my jaw while reading this entry ;o)   i HATE the dentist and hardly ever go (jus like you) i wouldn't recommend not going tho......ouch, i don't want to think about it!
Luv Jayne :O)

Anonymous said...

I hate dentists but I do recommend going as I left it too late and lost 4 front teeth as a result! My teeth are awful I wish I had good teeth! Love Conniex

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on my journal, I`m like you I get lost on journeys and once ended up in the airport TWICE trying to get home on a Main Rd!! I also HATE the dentist!
bella xx

Anonymous said...

This is so weird I`ve just read "Call me Elizabeth" too it was compelling!
bella xx

Anonymous said...

Hello Terry! I thought i should come by and say hello. I will put you on alerts, thanks for the comment you left me! love Joanne
http://journals.aol.com/stijoan/joannesjournal//