Sunday 26 November 2006

My Dad

Well here I am again, trying to post this but keep crashing.  I thought I'd let you all see a picture of my Daddy and his family.  We were sent this by my cousin, Lila, just before we made our journey and were thrilled to get it as we had never seen it before.  My granny (babcia) is on the left.  Then Jadja (Jadwiga) is next to her with baby, Halina, on her lap.  Then there is little Arcadeuz and then my Daddy!  Auntie Lila had not yet been born.

Jadwiga was a full sister to my Dad.  She died whilst my Dad was still alive, I know he was very sad that he had never seen her again after he left Poland with the Polish Air Force.  I was both amazed and touched when I visited my Cousin Lila, her daughter, that she had letters that my father had written her and that she still treasured them.

Its sad really but I don't remember my Dad telling us much about the family in Poland.  He died when I was 17, which was very shocking.

He used to love to play chess.  He even played chess against others on the telephone.  We'd lie in bed upstairs and it would be all quiet and then you'd hear a voice saying "Rook to Pawn 2" or something like that.  He even played chess on the day he died.  He was up London, playing at the Polish YMCA in a league when he collapsed with a heart attack.  He was taken to St Mary's in Paddington but before we got there, he had gone.  It was such a terrible shock to us all and we were devasted.  I remember the night so well.  Paul wasn't well and I had just started going out with him, so I had gone to his parents house and we were watching the Eurovision Song Contest.  The phone went and it was my ex brother in law telling us that Daddy had taken ill.  We lived in Edmonton at the time, so I dashed home and then caught a cab up to London with my ex brother in law.  As soon as I walked through the doors of the hospital I saw my brother, Peter.  He was only 13 and he walked towards me and I knew.  We came home by cab and my sister, Barb and I climbed into bed with mummy.  Mummy wouldn't call our sisters, Andrea and Christine.  She said we'll wait until the morning, let them have a good night's sleep.

Daddy and his family

Its been 34 years but I still miss my Daddy.

Hugs.  Terry

 

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had 17 years with a good Dad. I had 16 years with a rotten one. He is still alive and I do not miss him, but I do miss the Father I never had. Bam
http://journals.aol.com/reconcilinglife/reconciling-life/

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))Sounds like you had a good Dad,that is a nice pic,I know you will always treasure it.I should post some pics on my journal.Maybe sometime later I will.HAve a nice night.



Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have such good memories.  They are to be treasured.  I could just imagine if your Dad had internet back then, he would be playing chess on the computer.  My husband died from one of those sudden heart attacks too .  I know how shocking it can be.  So I too am thankful for the precious memories.
'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

what a great tribute to your dad:) love the picture

Deb

Anonymous said...

lovely to see your picture.
are you still going to put your mums memoirs on another blog? if so please let me know the link.
lucy x

Anonymous said...

So lovely to hear about your Dad ,please keep telling us these storys ,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

What a lovely entry ~ I love old pictures thanks for sharing ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Aww.. this was so precious... you missing your daddy after all this time.. we are all daddys little girls at heart....Hav a good week.. great pic by the way..
Lyn
http://journals.aol.com/ukgal36/Britsblog/

Anonymous said...

How sad he died when you were so young. I so wish mine could have seen his grandchildren grow up into such fine adults. Whenever they go, it's always too soon.

Linda x.

Anonymous said...

Nice to read some about your dad, and to see this picture of him, having read your mother's delightful memoirs so far.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Love the pic, it doesn`t matter the years since they`ve gone you still miss them dearly. thanks for sharing your story.
bella xx

Anonymous said...

My mum died very suddenly three years ago aged 58, the pain is still unbearable, and I will miss her forever. Thank you for sharing your memories and what a beatiful picture.

Yasmin