Saturday 11 November 2006

Part 9 - Mummy's Memoirs

Part 9 - two chapters today!  Hope you enjoy.  Mother wrote the little titles ...

 

One day I went out into the yard, it was a beautiful day.

I looked across the yard and saw the woman who lived in the house opposite putting big plates of pies on the window. They were open pies with lovely purple coloured berries in them. I went over and asked her what they were. Through the open window she told me they were mulberries. I rushed back home. Mother had to make a mulberry pie. They looked and smelled wonderful. Mother would not make mulberry pies, she did not believe in it. In Poland no-one ever ate mulberries, terrible idea.

So I went back to the open window with the pies cooling on the ledge. I got talking to the lady. Told her how lovely they looked. What a wonderful cook she was. My mother was too ill to make any I told her. If I had a pie like that I would lick the plate so clean it would not even need washing.

So she gave me a small one on a saucer. I thought she was rather mean, she had so many big ones on dinner plates.

But something was better than nothing.

The first taste tasted a little sour with a bitter taste to it. That was because I was not used to it. It would soon taste as good as it looked. But it didn’t! It tasted worse. But I could not let the lady down. I told her I’d never tasted anything so good.

After eating half of it I thought I’d be sick. When she turned her back, I put the saucer with the half eaten pie back on the window and ran.

I avoided her like the plague after that. I thought she’d do something dreadful to me for not eating it and she had to was the plate after all!

The Great Seduction

One day Mother sent me to that house to tell a woman upstairs she wanted to see her about something.

The woman said would I stay with her little boy who was about 4 years old while she went across. I readily agreed. The boy had lots of toys all over the floor and I was eager to play with them.

S soon as the woman was out of the house, the boy said we must play mothers and fathers. I said ok, he’d be father and I’d be mother. H e said we must undress like mothers and fathers do and get into bed naked. I had on a maroon coloured woollen dress. It pricked me all over. I would have gladly taken it off but I was scared. I remembered the other boy and I could not bear it. He started to take off his clothes. I went to the door but it would not open! We had been locked in!

I tried to stop him taking off his clothes - I didn’t want to play mothers and fathers. But he took no notice of me. He took off every stitch.

I covered my face with my hands not to see him.

I took a look and he was showing me his horrible thing. Then the door opened and his mother came in! She took one look - and went mad - he said I had asked him to take off his clothes. I ran out.

I went for a long walk trying to forget the horror of it all.

When I came back home, Mother pounced! What had I been up to? Hold could I? I cried and cried and for once she somehow believed me. It took a long time for me to get over it and I would not go to that side of the block for anything.

Have a nice Saturday.

Terry x

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love reading this memoirs and it reminds me of when I saw the boy next door naked, we were six at the time! And I had my clothes on.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

May be the woman knew the pie wouldnt be to a childs taste ,thats why she gave your Mum the small one ,What an aweful little boy ,wonder if he grew up to be a not very nice man ,.,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

The joys and pains  of growing up are expressed so wonderfuly by your mother.  Things often forgotten have a way of surfacing when we hear the tales of the past.
Customes, likes and dislikes all.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))I am sory you had to go through that as a child.I am glad you had a good Mother.I hope you have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

hi Terry,
I really enjoy reading your blog, it always sparks memorys for me of hearing my nan, my gran and my own mothers tales! i am slowly working my way backwards through your entries lol!! Thanks for popping in on me xxx

Anonymous said...

Your poor Mum, what a horrible experience. Thank goodness her mother believed her for once.

I always thought Mulberries would tatse delicious, Im glad I've never tried them now.

Linda. x.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, your poor Mum.  Over here we never call our mothers Mum or Mummy so I think of your mom as Mum, and she is delightful with her stories of her past.  These two little vignettes are quite delightful. I am really enjoying getting acquainted with her. Gerry
http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/