Sunday 12 November 2006

Nice weekend/Dentists

Matthew had his brace off on Friday!!!  After 3 years it is nice to see his teeth again.  A couple of years ago, he chipped his front tooth and the repair held until about a week or so, when it broke off.  The repair had to wait until the brace was off, so Paul took him to the dentist to get the repair done after the brace was off, first thing on Friday.  I was shocked to see that the repair has been done but the tooth looks shorter than his other tooth - can you believe it!  I went crazy.  I just can't believe the dentist could be so lazy.  Anyway, he is going back on Wednesday and he will have matching front teeth if it kills me!

Rosie is going to the hospital on Friday because she has a tooth growing at an angle through her bottom gum.  I hope they can do something for her without an op.  It is not causing her any probs at the moment.  I only found out about it when we took her about her brace for her twisted front tooth (which they refused her for under their new guidelines and which will cost us £1300 to have done).  Its ridiculous that she would have to walk around with this twisted tooth for the rest of her life due to their cut backs and new guidelines.  Apparently, they only see kids once a year now for dental check ups instead of every 6 months.

We have had a nice relaxing weekend.  Matthew went off to scouts yesterday and they had a day in London, visiting the London Dungeons and HM Belfast.  They camped out last night and we have to pick him up soon after the Remembrance service. 

Rosie and I met up with an old friend of mine, Laura and her son Brad, who is about the same age as Rosie.

I met Laura years ago in Greece down a long road in the middle of nowhere, looking for a hotel where we had our welcome meeting.  She was only young then, about 19 and was with her friend Jackie.  We were in our 30s.  Anyway, we got chatting and I remembered seeing her and her friend on the plane.  We arranged to meet up for an evening and it was the start of a long friendship with Laura.  She was telling us the first time we met her that she wasn't interested in a holiday romance but by the end of the holiday she had met a chap from oop North and could hardly bear it when he left a couple of days before her.  It was quite exciting and romantic.  He met her at Gatwick and off they went for more loving at a hotel near her home.  By the time the following week came she upped sticks and left to go back up North with him.  He was a bit older than her but really seemed a nice man.  Ahh, it would be lovely if they were still together wouldn't it but it all went wrong after about a year and he decided he didn't want to go on with it.  She came home broken hearted and then met Steve, who is great and has settled down with him and had Brad.  Shes a great girl, a great laugh and if you heard her laugh you'd be on the floor, its really infectious.

Anyway, we went off shopping to Welwyn, Laura drove, she is a better parker than I am in tight spaces!  I got Matthew a new scout shirt from John Lewis, poor Matthew is still wearing his old one from when he was 10 and it is getting very short on the arms now.  I now have to sew all the blimming badges on this new one from the old one - ooooh.  Rosie had a couple of pairs of earring studs from Argos because she is always losing them and because she got a fairly good report from her new school she had some money to spend.  She decided to buy the latest Jacqueline Wilson book.  She loves her books.  We saw Jacqueline Wilson at an evening at our local theatre.  She had so many big silver rings on all of her fingers and so many bracelets it was a wonder she could lift her arms up when she spoke.  A very eccentric looking lady.


So, we got home at about 5ish and settled down for a lovely evening in front of the telly.  Xfactor is our favourite but we have to fight Paul for control of the telly, so we can watch it.  We always hope he'll drop off to sleep and if he does then we creep across grab the tv plodder and make merry with it! 

We have all been lazy this morning.  I got up at about 7 and dropped off again on the sofa, bliss!  We have all just had our toastie things, me and Rosie had spag hoops with toast and Paul was a more sedate cheese on toast.  I love Sundays!!!  Better get dressed now though and get on with getting things ready for the week.

Catch you later.

Terry x

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teeth! They are trouble coming and trouble going. I remember how long Becky had to wear her brace, it was wonderful when it came off.  I hope you do get Matthew matching teeth.  Yes, Sundays are lazy days thankfully.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

teeth and dentists yuck. they hurt coming in(teeth) and they hurt going out lol ok i have to ask ...... what is spag hoops and sedate cheese??  

Deb

Anonymous said...

Spag hoops = Spaghetti hoops (Rosie's favourite) sedate cheese = just plain cheese nothing on it!

Terry x

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you have to pay for an essential brace for a child. Put me in charge of running this country, there would be some big changes I can tell you.

My father in law served on HMS Belfast, it was on there that he was sent deaf in one ear.

Linda x.

Anonymous said...

Sunday mornings are great !  I slept in a little this morning and will be off to church later.  My boys (6 of them ) were all in scouts too.  Eventually they all learned to sew their own badges on...that was a relief.  Hope you enjoy your day !
'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

I cnt believe this is going to cost so much ,I was on Monday ,I hate it !!Was watching theRemembrance service on TV  , wonder if we saw your Matthew , good luck to Rosie on Friday ,.,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

The dental industry isn't that much better here in the States.  You pay so much for insurance and yet THEY determine what they will pay and wont.  And God help you if it's cosmetic like your Matthews.  My husband chipped his front tooth as well, they want HALF of $800 to fix it.  I just had teeth pulled by a surgeon for $1000 and only paid 200....  mixed up I tell ya!  Have a wonderful Sunday.  Rainy and cold here in NY.   HUGS
Gwen

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes and I hope you will be a regular visitor. We always have a roast, lamb today. I think it's shocking these days what the dentist is doing, or not as the case maybe, and thats if you can find an NHS dentist, if not you have to pay through the roof, my son Danny has just had extensive work done on his and it's cost over £500
Kerry

Anonymous said...

Sewing, i am no good at sewing its the 1 thing i have never been able to do, i can knit,crotchet and make rugs and love cross stitch but sewing urghhh i get so cross lol!! I dont envy you terry.  Teeth, well Keelie is waiting an appointment for a track brace and i sure hope it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg!!
I have been lazy also, i ventured over to tesco and it half killed me as still feeling very poorly, but was good to get out. Nicky xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mrsmasonater2005/my-life-and-family/

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))I hope and pray you get it all worked out for the dentist with your kids.I had to get all of my teeth removed,because of hurting so bad.My falt,I didnt take very good care of the,HAve a nice week.

Anonymous said...

Hello Terry - gosh, what a time you are having with the Dentist, and you are quite right to get Matthew's teeth sorted, how could the Dentist settle for such bad workmanship ....tsk, tsk!    Hope Rosie gets her's sorted too..... you are such a good mother ;o)    LOL at you and Rosie going for the remote while Paul snoozes...he hee!
Luv Jayne x

Anonymous said...

my teeth are in an awful state and im only 26, the front ones are ok but the back teeth have just fell apart, i always have a toothache, when my baby is born im going to get all my trouble teeth pulled out!!Bring on the dentures!!Beckie.

Anonymous said...

My oldest has braces but it seems that my younger one will now need braces.  She's terrified, her teeth don't line up, she had a pacifier until she was about 5, bad I know.  

Amy

Anonymous said...

You have a nice style, too, reminiscent of your mother.  Right now you are letting your mother be the bolder one with what she chooses to write about, and you are alittle more constrained and conservative.  But I think eventually you will become more like your mother and will open up as you can. Your mother no doubt suppressed her memoirs when she was young, too. Letting you be the one to share them with others.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

the brace is well worth having evn if he did have to puut up with it for three years!
bella xx

Anonymous said...

Your poor kids and their teeth but it should all be worth it in the end! It is nice to meet up with old friends isn't it? You sound as if you have a great little family. Love conniex

Anonymous said...

I got a kick out of your word 'plodder' for remote control.  It reminded me of a joke I read recently.   A woman had gone shopping and when she was at the counter paying for the things she was buying, the clerk noticed she had a remote control in her purse.  "Why do you carry the remote with you?"  the clerk asked.
The woman replied, "I don't usually have it in my purse but today my husband refused to come shopping with me so I thought I would bring it and drive him crazy!"  What is it with men and the remotes?  My husband gets so nervous if I have it in my hand even if I'm not changing the station.  LOL
hugs,  Kathy