Saturday 18 November 2006

Poland

Ohhh I did lots of explanations about this... and just lost it.  Hopefully, this time I'll get it posted.

Last year, for the first time, my sister Christine, Rosie and my brother Peter all visited Poland for the very first time.  As you know, I have Polish parents who are both dead.  My dad, Joseph, otherwise known as Zuik, died in 1972, aged 61.  Daddy met Mummy during the war and never went back to Poland.  His mother came over in 1957 but didn't get on with my Mum, so never came again.

There are a few little strange things about daddy, like his real name, which he never told us about.  I don't know the reason.  It was very strange being given his old Scout certificates with this name that we had never really known him by.  We can't understand the reason for the secrecy.  My mum only told me about it a few years before she died.  This was another thing she didn't share with my sisters or brother.  I told them after she had died.  Why all these secrets??  Even after our visit to Poland we couldn't seem to get to the bottom of it.

It was absolutely wonderful meeting our Polish relatives.  His sister lives in Bialystok, very near to the train station, and she was the main one we were going to visit as she had always written to us, despite hardly ever getting a reply from me.  My Polish is very bad although Christine can speak quite a bit,  I suppose when she was younger it was spoken in the home but as we came along, mainly English was used.  Words can't really describe the feelings we had as we finally made this trip to Poland.  Why hadn't we been before?  I think mainly due to lack of money. 

I will write more about this.  In the meantime though, now I have got the hang of this posting pictures malarky,  I am posting on a picture of my Auntie Lila and her wonderful picture that hangs in her hallway.  Let me know what you think of this painting.  I found it absolutely fascinating.

One more thing.  When we visited the cemetary to see my grandmother's grave, Auntie Lila took us to see her husband's grave.  We were shocked to see her name already enscribed on it.  She explained that all that needed doing was putting on the date of her death ..... eeeeeeek!  We tried to explain about Scrooge and him seeing his gravestone ... it was all a bit lost in translation.

 

Now to get on a bit and stop messing about on here!!

Catch you later.

Terry x

 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

P.S. Had to laugh at the scrooge thing, but what a thing to do, cannot see it catching on over here.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

How strange about your Dad and that you were not able to get to the bottom of things. Could his sister not help.  Well, I have to be honest, I do not like the picture, I would not have it hanging in my house.  Mike's Mum used to have a statue of the devil in her house, I hated walking past the thing. When she died, Mike kicked it into the rubbish, no way would we take it.  I agree it is very well done but not for me.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

It's a very different painting I must admit.  It gave me the willies though.  I don't think I would want it in my house.......interesting family history! WOW
Gwen

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I'd want to come downstairs in the middle of the night with him looking at me, it's very interesting but a bit scary.

Glad you managed to go to Poland, it's a bit easier for me to visit my Ancestors home, it's just 40 minutes up the motorway.

Linda x.

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))))Very intresting history about your family.Are you still trying to find out all about your family?I wish you the very best.And that pic,sorry,but would have to aggree with the others on that  one.That is a veryscary pic.I would be scared to go to sleep at night.But I can tell you something about my Grandmas house,She has to pics alike of Her relatives before my Grandma,one hung up in the hall way and as you was wlaking down the halway,very scary.lol.Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

How great that you were able to visit Poland.  I have a great aunt still in Hungary, which is so divided that now it's part of something else.  Maybe it's part of Poland. Family history is wonderful, it lets us know where are roots are.  I'm back to the 'House Blessing '  (cleaning up)  "On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Terry like the others on the picture ,,hmm maybe not ,loved the rest of the entry though ,what a pretty Lady Aunty Lila  ,shame you couldnt get all the answers about the family ,.love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

This is so weird I have Russian`Polish Grandparents too! they came here as refugees from a place called lithuania, where they lived is no longer there and here they were known as Aliens. There is a book called Lithuainans in Scotland where a man called John Miller listed all the poles that came over here.
loved your story!
bella xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindapaterson177/IstartedofthislifewithnothingIst/

Anonymous said...

you are doing great with the pictures:) enjoy your weekend

Deb

Anonymous said...

Oh, how interesting.  I thought the painting good, and your aunt looks like a lady with character.  I am glad she did not give up on you even though you did not respond very often because you weren't up on your polish.  My son's girlfriend of about 7 years had a mother who came from Poland.  I just loved Rosie, who was very entertaining. Her mother went back to Poland before she died to visit relatives, too.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Hiya, thanks for stopping by!!  You never left a link but I still found you....hope you don't mind!  Have added you to my alerts now.
Loved reading about your family history....very interesting.  My name's inscribed on my dad's headstone too, but it completely, utterly and totally freaks me out whenever I see it!  
Hugs,
A xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/salonrose123/second-time-around/

Anonymous said...

I love that painting!!!  Scary and beautiful, who painted it?

Amy

Anonymous said...

Its interesting to read about family, past and present...Have a great week and take care!

Astra!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments I was recently working in a pub in Aldgate I like the city but I think I'm going to enjoy being back in the west end.
Take care
Yasmin (Cayasm)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my journal...and the comment. That painting looks the my idea of the devil....Lol...Bam
http://journals.aol.com/reconcilinglife/reconciling-life/

Anonymous said...

Found the picture rather fascinating
Andy
http://journals.aol.co.uk/andrewfrnd/life

Anonymous said...

I love reading ur accent!. My ancestors were Polish Jews from Bialystock. I do geneology work and its strange to hear how u visited there. It sounds so far to a native New Yorker!

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,
sprry havent dropped by of late i have been very busy at college so havent really had much time.  The picture is fascinating and maybe a bit spooky too, the face looks almost familiar but i v=cant quite place it just now...... but am sure i will. nicky xx http://journals.aol.co.uk/mrsmasonater2005/my-life-and-family/